Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I said "NO!"

I have given the gift of blood to Lifeblood twice.  I have been turned down once because my blood pressure was not where it needed to be.  I don't mind giving blood to help aid in its uses, but I really hate it when their representatives call.  Tonight, I was on the phone with a lady from Lifeblood for approximately thirty minutes.  She insisted on me coming in to donate some of my platelets.  I told her I had a busy schedule, yet she continued to carry on.  She urged me to make an appointment for tomorrow or Wednesday.  I refused to make an appointment.  She would not take no for an answer, so she put me down for an appointment next Thursday.  Needless to say, I will not be there.

During this unecessary thirty minute chat, I learned that platelets can only be saved for five days.  The platelets become perishable thereafter.  In the past and in Europe, seven days is the maximum shelf life.  However, the platelets may not be as good or adequate.

176

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. she does her job very well... Man.. I hate when someone does that. You are just too polite to hang up right away. I would be like "huh? I said no??? okay. bye." Anyway, donating blood is always a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever been out of the country in a marketplace? they hound you and hound you until you just have to run away. I hate it when people don't take no for an answer as well. I gave blood one time, and whenever they call back, I just refuse to answer. They cannot hound me if i don't answer the phone. Haha, i win.

    ReplyDelete