Monday, September 7, 2009

Page 7

1. The last extremely difficult writing assignment was for my AP English class. I had to write an analytical essay comparing and contrasting two poems using specific elements. Poetry does not interest me, and I have a hard time comprehending the elaborate language often chosen. It was very hard to motivate myself to do the assignment.
2. The entire class was given the same assignment from our teacher. The essay was considered tough to the class, but our teacher thought it to be an assignment that would apply what we had been practicing. In order for my essay to be valid, I had to dissect the poems, evaluate how each part contributed to the work as a whole, and distinguish among the most important lines and those that simply gave detail. I highlighted the lines that seem to be of greater impact, and began to construct my work. We had to share our essays with each other to help us develop a broader outlook and knowledge about analyzing literature. By sharing information, I learned what other key terms or figurative elements to look for.

Page 23
1. split, lose, paused, considered, vanished, rounding, trailed, picked, follow, chased, knew, smashed, entered, ran, coming, wound, chased, strained, pounding, thought, fling, point, forget, aim, drive, go, impelled, compelled, follow, running, improvising, running, choosing, find, slow, discovering, dismayed, exhilarated, save
2. paused, considered, vanished, rounding, picked, smashed, chased, expected, choking, pounding sliding, impelled, compelled running, failing, dismayed
3. “It’s wide black door opened; a man got out of it, running.” “It was an immense discovery, pounding into my hot head with every sliding, joyous step, that this ordinary adult evidently knew what I thought only children who trained at football knew: that you have to fling yourself at what you’re doing, you have to point yourself, forget yourself, aim, dive. ”
Page 24

1. in city clothes, suit and tie, street shoes, thin man,[normal], skinny, redheaded, [furious], [sainted]
2. my lips felt swollen, couldn’t see out the sides of my eyes, coughing, [ordinary], [normal], [anger], [usual]
3. His allusion to the man’s description evolves around the narrative pace.

Page 25

1. passionately, I wanted the glory to last forever, precisely, prolong the drama of the chase and cap his glory, brooded, dismembered us piecemeal, staked us to anthills, exalting pursuit,
2. we could have ran through every backyard, snowy backyard, nothing has required so much of me since as being chased all over Pittsburg in the middle of winter-, running terrified

No comments:

Post a Comment