Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hmm...

The quote by Friere concludes that education can functions as two things: an instrument to which an individual can conform to a present system (society) or it is a way to deal with reality through actively and intelligently becoming engaged with ourselves as we transform into independent individuals. Freire believes people will be divided into those that are socially aware of themselves and those that are aware of themselves as an individual. Each person's perception will ultimately reflect his/her's education directly. The quote is very universal and simply stated. The message is very powerful, though. Will I conform to popular beliefs-the crowd-and do only what is required of me, or will I rise above my comforts and challenge myself through my strengths and weaknesses? It is a choice everyone must make.  I think that we must compromise and obtain both functions of education.  We can broaden our perceptions by seeing every option.  The choice will determine what is to become of us as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment