Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blog #8

What if there were no bugs in the world? Yesterday, I went hiking at Shelby Forest. I began walking up the trail and through the wooded land, when I noticed that I was walking in mosquito heaven. It was the ultimate breading ground for these evil creatures. It was moist in places and there were rivers and streams across the land. It was very beautiful, but the wonderful scenes of nature were interrupted by the bugs. They were all over the place. I saw centipedes and bright green beetles. I saw some spiders, nats, bees, and other unidentified flying bugs. I complained the whole time. I kept hearing them fly by my ear. I kept feeling them on my body. I kept getting the chills as they met with me. I walked through swarms of flying insects, and I was greatly freaked out by this experience. I felt each and every bite. The mosquitoes definitely ate well yesterday. This experience made me wonder, though. I hate insects. I just wish that there was not any on this planet. What if there was none? What would this do for people? If there were no insects in this world, a lot of the diseases that are a result of these pests, would be eliminated. I didn't say that all the diseases of this world would be eliminated just the diseases that are the cause of these small, annoying carriers. The outside activities and recreation that people enjoy would not have to be disturbed by these insects that crawl and fly around us. I kept thinking about my experience. I just cannot stand being insect food, but despite my hate towards them, I realized I like the way I live. Without insects, things would be entirely different. Insects pollinate flowers, insects are used for medicine, and certain animals could not survive without them for their diet just to name a few of their many uses. The benefits of the use of insects definitely out weigh my disgust.

No comments:

Post a Comment